We all make mistakes since we are all merely human. No one is perfect, even those with perfect penmanship using luxury fountain pens. But being persons using luxury fountain pens for how many decades already, we have learned the error of our ways – our true strength. There are many tips and tricks revealed today about the proper caring for your fountain pen from the past experiences of pen enthusiasts all over the world.
You can easily make big or small blunders with both expensive luxury fountain pens and cheap ones. You can make a mistake on how to choose the best brand fountain pen ink like J.Herbin fountain pen inks or other brands out there. You can even make a casual slip up when figuring out how to clean a fountain pen yourself.
But the worse of all blunders are those small acts committed repeatedly and habitually without knowing that they’re wrong. Here are the top habitual acts most pen enthusiasts do with their fountain pen that shouldn’t be tolerated:
· Keeping your fountain pen in your pocket among other miscellaneous items such as your phone, keys, and coins will inevitably damage you fountain pen’s finish. If you were expecting to keep your fountain pen scratch-free, stop doing the pen in the pocket routine. You can also get a pen slip or cover to avoid getting the fountain pen grazed by outside factors.
· Never use ink originally meant for calligraphy and dip pens. These inks are shellac-based, and to clean them out of your fountain pen means using denatured alcohol – a solution that can cause the corrosion of some of your pen’s internal apparatuses. Stick with the original fountain pen ink always.
· Don’t press too hard while writing with a fountain pen. This might disrupt the capillary action and cause the nibs to spread out, hence damaging the pen permanently.
· Skipping the cleaning routine of your pen will damage it 100% of the time.
· Never use alcohol and acetone to clean your fountain pen. Even if you badly want to get those pesky ink stains, you need to hold on that corrosive solution. Always use pen flush or water to clean your fountain pens.
· The worse habitual mistake a pen enthusiast can make is storing or even dropping the precious fountain pen with its nib down. It is simply heartbreaking for any pen enthusiast to have accidents like this. This is because some fountain pens have nibs that are very difficult to replace. And with just one drop, it can cost a lot to repair. However, this mishap can be avoided with the proper keeping of the pen. You can use a pen holder, a hard pen case or a simple pencil case. Never keep it in your pocket since you might accidentally pull it out while getting another item.
· Not actually using the fountain pen often can lead to many problems in the internal mechanism of the pen. There will be times in your busy life wherein you forgot about them or maybe you misplaced them so you can’t help but not use them for some time. There are so many every day uses for a fountain pen that you should utilize to never keep it out of your sight. But mostly, the problem lies in the actual storage of your pen.